Monday, January 5, 2009

SPENT!

Yep, never thought I would say it, but I am SPENT........literally! My husband & I had time off from work over the holidays. We shopped & ate to our heart's content --- and by the final few days off, there was nothing left for us to spend money shopping on or junk-food left to dine on. We were spent! I never thought I would run out of stuff to shop for, but alas, I have (for now, anyway). As for the junk-food......WOW, we ate a LOT! Friends that know us are a bit shocked when I tell them all that we have been dining on.

I think all the fabulous dining choices began around Thanksgiving, when my wonderful Michigan/Chicago relatives came for a visit. We were so busy planning for their arrival & having fun with them once they got here that we slacked on the gym & ate pretty much whatever we wanted (translation: Burgers, fries, Chili John's, ice cream, cookies, cakes, Mexican food, churros, margaritas, martinis, Tommy's, pizza & more). That's SO not like us -- but we did it & we enjoyed it immensely!

The food thing carried on after they returned home, sadly. With Christmas around the corner, we did not let up on the eating and we certainly did not make time for the gym! I gained 5 pounds, which for me, is a lot. My man packed on 10, so he says (he still looks good to me!). December saw us eating many of the items listed above for November, but add in some trips to the infamous Smoke House in Burbank (translation: lots of cheesy garlic bread, YUM), chocolate cake from Gordon Biersch, garlic fries, PF Chang's, hot chocolate, more ice cream, tons of cookies, more chili from Chili John's and Tommy's, Shakey's Pizza plus mojo potatoes, a trip or 2 to Taco Bell, Jack-in-the-Box & Burger King, pancakes for breakfast (only did that once), meat pies from Porto's Bakery, mozarella cheese sticks (deep fried of course), burgers, chili cheese dogs, onion rings, jalapeno poppers, and much, much more, I assure you --- I am just drawing a blank now as I drool over my keyboard while I type this list! I am just not sure if I drool because I am hungry or because I am disgusted with myself as I see this long list. ???

Now, it's the New Year.....no resolutions per say .....but we ARE cutting ourselves off from the bad dining & making more of an effort to get back on the work-out train. We went hiking a few times last week (weather was gorgeous), hit the gym twice (once for yoga & my shoulders are still a bit sore). We're slowly getting back on track. Today was day 1 of the better food part of the plan. It's HARD. I am at work & craving Doritos or cookies.......so terrible, I know. Gotta slim down the "pansa" -- which if I spelled it correctly, is Spanish for belly. ha ha!!! I don't even really WANT the Doritos.....it's just habit now that I should nibble while I work. BAD!!!

I am spent!! I did it all. I ate it all. I even licked the plate clean!! Despite my mild current cravings, there is nothing I really WANT to eat that I did not indulge in over the long holidays. Despite the fact I always want new clothes or shoes, there is nothing I cannot live without at this moment. The gift cards that line my wallet will remain still for now. Soon enough, I know I will feel differently about the shopping aspect. :) Tomorrow IS another day, after all!

Happy 2009!
Happy Shopping!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in absolute SHOCK!!! Good for you though! I'm glad that you had such a great holiday!

Tina said...

Okay, it's 6:30 in the morning for me as I'm reading this and I am drooling too! The fact that you mentioned Smokehouse Garlic Bread, makes me want some immediately! LOL!!

I hear you though, I overdid it this holiday season too.